Why no /proc/config.gz on FC-3 kernel?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 02:39:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 03:17:49AM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
 > >  > One good reason to do it is that you can be sure the config matches
 > >  > exactly what is currently running.
 > >  ls /boot/config-`uname -r`
 >
 > It does not give the same guarantees as /proc/config.gz though, it may not
 > even exist.

The only way it wouldn't exist that's been demonstrated so far has been
through someone cluelessly installing a kernel by non-standard means.
(rpmbuild does the right thing, make install does the right thing, leaving
 just a series of cp's/mv's by hand as the only possible way to screw up).

There's still no guarantee that /proc/config.gz exists either (supposing I
enabled /proc/config.gz in the Fedora kernel). There's still the possibility
that someone is running a self-compiled kernel with it disabled.
So anything outside the kernel package that needs those config options
can't rely on it, and would need to support both /boot *and* /proc,
which is just adding pointless complexity to other packages.

This thread has got about as interesting as the 'where is the
kernel-source for fc3' threads.  Can we stop kicking this dead horse now?

		Dave