2 DNS, one machine

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Nov 29 02:40:12 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 29.11.2004 schrieb Bruce um 1:49:

> Is it possible (pratical) to run 2 domain name servers on one linux box (with one processor)?

You can, but it would be not really practical. There are simpler way to
make run what you (probably) want.

> I'm installing FC2 to be a server for small home network but I would like to connect to the internet occasionally
> for updates and such and I need to assign an IP address now while installing. RFC 1597 suggests two DNS
> as a solution for this situation.

Which host does need internet connection occasionally?

> Do I only need to use one of the addresses assigned for private networks in RFC 1597? It wasn't clear to m
> when I read the spec if these addresses are reserved globally for private networks or if DNSs connected to the
> internet always need an assigned IP address.

You don't want to run a public DNS. If your aim is to allow local
network hosts to be able sometimes to get an internet connection for
updating i.e., you then need a gateway that does NAT. This is pretty
easy to be done with Fedora Linux and iptables.

> Bruce

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 03:40:08 up 8 days, 22:27, load average: 0.31, 0.43, 0.34