Yup, it's definitely fedora's fault, not my hardware.

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 29 03:21:18 UTC 2004

John Summerfield wrote:

> On Monday 29 November 2004 08:08, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>>>Oddly enough, I've never known that there was such a beast as a "cable-
>>>select cable" or a "non-cable-select cable" even though I've built at
>>>least 200 systems. I've just always jumpered drives as master/slave as
>>>required.
>>>
>>>How would one detect which type of cable it is?
>>
>>One of my UDMA cables has 2 different colored connectors (blue & black?)
>>and can be used with Cable-Select....
>

> I only discovered that quite recently. I think it' part of the spec from ATA-3
> which basically means all contemporary kit.
>
> Dunno about those 40-pin cables you still see at Tricky Dick and Tandy and
> such.

40 CORE (they both use 40 pin btw) cable - doesn't matter which is
master slave or even motherboard connector.

80 CORE cable can cause havoc if you do not stick to the order:
BLUE - MOTHERBOARD
BLACK - MASTER
GREY - SLAVE

Any other combination can cause real problems, or minor ones depending
on motherboard. I've never seen an incorrectly wired IDE cable run at
ATA-5 speed properly.

Regards,
Ed.