Fedora Extras is extra

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Nov 29 07:14:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 16:39 -0700, Scott wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 04:11:25PM -0500, William M. Quarles wrote:
> >

> >>Join us or we'll start reproducing your software in your place anyways.
> >> Does this not scream arrogance, bureacracy, and monopoly to anybody
> >>else?  Does this not seem very Microsoft-ish?  Can you actually expect
> >>

> >There's been a lot of discussion about this. The points the page makes are
> >real, and declaring their answer "Microsoft-ish" isn't constructive. Do you
> >have an alternate *solution*?
> >

> The problem is Fedora is  it's not moving fast enough and adding enough
> packages.  The fact that 3-4 people can deliver what they can't is
> preposterous.
>
> They really need to take a hard look  at this.  I should;d not have to
> go to kde-redhat, Dag Wieers, FreshRPMS and NewRPMs get to software
> (which is compiled for Fedora) for Fedora.   I should be getting it from
> Fedora......
>
> Well, I would if they offered it....
>
> In the meantime if Fedora is being blatant about ensuring their
> incompatibility with the above named repositories (as many accuse them
> of being) then they need to stop that nonsense too.

And you have not kept up with the notes on the incompatibilities of some
repositories?

AFAIK all the packagers are creating packages that work with fedora.
However, packages from some sites (dag, et al. and fedora.us, et al) are
not compatible with the same packages or dependencies from the other set
of sites.  Certain mixes of packages break when gotten from incompatible
sites.

If you have been following this list in the last few weeks you would
know where that problem lies, and not blame that on fedora.

As I see it, the packagers in charge of fedora.us (aka fedora-extras)
refuse to try and build packages that are cross compatible in spite of
Dag's attempts to work with them and make packages that "just work"
regardless of what site they came from and what site mixture is used.