Fedora Extras is extra

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 29 07:33:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 01:14 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:

> If you have been following this list in the last few weeks you would
> know where that problem lies, and not blame that on fedora.
The reasons are technical ones.

> As I see it, the packagers in charge of fedora.us (aka fedora-extras)
Fedora.US != Fedora.Extras.

Fedora.US hosts and built Fedora-Extras for FC1/FC2.

Fedora Extras for FC3 is conducted by RH and supposed to be hosted by
RH.

> refuse to try and build packages that are cross compatible
"Refuse" is he wrong wording. It's technically impossible to be
compatible with arbitrary repositories containing competing packages, so
at least I don't even try to spend/waste time on trying to be
compatible.

>  in spite of
> Dag's attempts to work with them and make packages that "just work"
> regardless of what site they came from and what site mixture is used.
Such attempts can only work in special cases at one point in time.
In general and in longer terms, they are doomed to fail.

Ralf