Fedora Extras is extra

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 29 05:03:19 UTC 2004

On 11/28/2004 06:53:46 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:

> Ok, this has come up several times and I should make a FAQ out of it.
> Why
> do people assume that the repository maintainer should be appointed
> of
> the
> burden of managing 2 or more repositories to just fullfil the way
> users
> want to use a repository ?

You shouldn't in an ideal world.

> To me, this should be a feature of Yum and Apt.

I agree.
I think rpm and/or repo software should alert a user when a package
installed from one source is cued to be replace by another.

> David Parsley (of
> TaoLinux
> fame) has a patch for Yum that exactly allows to protect the base
> system
> (core packages). You can say, this and this repository I consider the
> core repository and it will never allow to replace a package from
> these by
> one from another repository.

I like the sound of that.

> The implementation at this point has 1 problem case (when a non core
> package requires a core package), that will probably never get fixed
> since
> Seth (author of Yum) made it clear he was not interested in this
> feature
> and David sees no use in making it work for 100% if it will never get
> merged anyway.

That's too bad - I like the sound of that, it's a safety feature for
the user. Maybe if seth doesn't want it in yum, Fedora could add it
themselves to their yum.