Disk Partiotioning

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Nov 29 12:32:42 UTC 2004

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>
>> C. Linus Hicks wrote:

>>> Not necessarilly, it depends mostly on your partition layout. What
>>> partitions have you defined - please give device (disk) names and mount
>>> points.
>>>
>>> If you are in a situation where you can either temporarily delete a
>>> partition after having backed it up, or shrink an existing one to
>>> create
>>> a new one, then you should have some options available to you.
>>>
>>> Do a "man resize2fs" and read that.
>>>

>> Sorry, I just found a way to get the info. Here is the result of df -h:
>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sda3             4.9G  4.2G  427M  91% /
>> /dev/sda1              99M   17M   78M  18% /boot
>> none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
>> /dev/sda2              12G  683M   11G   7% /home
>

> Instead of "df -h", "fdisk -l" would have been more useful.  We want
> to see the actual partition layout of the partition table....
>
>> What I'd like to do is to take a couple of Gigs from /home and put
>> them into / (root). I believe I can backup and erase /home without
>> problems, but how can I put this space into root?
>

> *IF* sda2 and sda3 are contiguous in the partition table (probably,
> but not guarenteed without looking at the actual allocation info) you
> might be able to resize(move) sda3 to the upper regions, re-size the
> partition sda3, then merge the new space onto the end of sda2.  If you
> are lucky, you should then be able to expand sda2 into the re-claimed
> space.  Not easy, but it should be straightforward if you know the
> right commands.
> If you have no experience doing this, I'd heartily recommend backing
> up the data in both sda2 & sda3 before attempting this for a first time!
>
>> Thanks
>

> Good Luck!

Thanks for you reply, and sorry it took me so long to answer. It took me
some time to realize I needed the - in the su command to get this to
work. But here it is:
[root at patroclus ~]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 18.2 GB, 18210037760 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2213 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              14        1511    12032685   83  Linux
/dev/sda3            1512        2148     5116702+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4            2149        2213      522112+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5            2149        2213      522081   82  Linux swap

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University