experiences with an upgrade

Mike Zingale zingale at ucolick.org
Mon Nov 29 18:36:50 UTC 2004

Hi, I just recently upgraded my system to FC3 from FC1.  It is important
to note that the FC1 install was also an upgrade from Redhat 9, so some of
the experiences I have run into might be from that.  Hopefully some of
this will help anyone else who always does upgrades instead of fresh
installs.

Some observations:

1. system-config-soundcard was not installed.  After the upgrade, I had no
   sound, despite all the proper lines being in /etc/modprobe.conf

   yum install system-config-soundcard and then running that seems to have
   fixed this.

2. the menus were all messed up.  Under the systems menu, was an
   Applications, Games, Internet, etc. submenu.  In fact, the Games menu
   appeared under a lot of the categories.

   I eventually tracked this down to the new Gnome looking in
   /etc/X11/applnk and putting any directories in there in (seemingly)
   random places in the menu.  Deleting these made the menus much nicer.

3. evolution was not installed.  Clicking on the mail icon on the Gnome
   panel just brought up an error and then the default applications
   dialog

4. even after updating udev to the latest version, the Nvidia
   closed-source driver still has problems after reboots.  Maybe this is
   still the status of this driver, but I thought I read in the archives
   that the new udev made things happy again.

So far, it seems a little faster than FC1 on this machine (PIII-733MHz).

Michael Zingale
UCO/Lick Observatory
UCSC
Santa Cruz, CA 95064

phone:  (831) 459-2277
fax:    (831) 459-5265
e-mail: zingale at ucolick.org
web:    http://www.ucolick.org/~zingale

``Don't worry head, the computer will do our thinking now''  -- Homer