overheated laptop

thom at customnetworks.ca thom at customnetworks.ca
Mon Nov 29 21:04:57 UTC 2004

> Satish Balay wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, sly wrote:
>>

>>>see, i did not have this temperature issues before on fc2 about 6
>>> month ago. nor under win xp. the fan used to kick in at high speed,
>>> cool down and fan speed used to slow down to min.
>>

>> 6 months is a long time - the hardware could have deteriorated. FC2 &
>
>   yeah. under xp doesn't heat up this much.
>
>> FC3 now have similar kernels. Anyway - were you using APM instead of
>> ACPI with FC2?
>
> acpi. i wasn't paying too much attention till it started burning my
> fingers and sometimes shutting down because of overheating - 80C.
>

>> As you suspect - there could be something else going on. This is a
>> "don't know" zone for me.
>
> i wish i had more time to spend on this. already lost few nights of
> sleep. :)

I couldn't find the thread start for this as I'm not at the office, but I
installed gkrellm with the i8k extensions for my dell Inspiron 8200
laptop. I can control the fan speed or let the computer do it. Mine runs
nicely at 40 - 45 C and 1200MHz. I can speed up to 1700MHz and the fans
kick in and run pretty loud.

Hope this helps.