2 DNS, one machine

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 30 03:05:21 UTC 2004

From: "John Summerfield" <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 09:40, jdow wrote:
> > Off hand that looks like a mess up on your part in the DNS records. All
> > my computers respond, in themselves, to localhost as 127.0.0.1. The DNS
> > query reports nothing found. Of course, that is on a Mandrake 10 and a
> > RedHat 9 pair of machines with the DNS engine on the RedHat 9 machine.
> >
> > {^_^}
>
> As I said, I found that one by typo.
>
> I actually have one like it; it's a wildcard subdomain of one of the
> dyndns.org domains.

OOOooohhhhhh! Sneakity you are. So it'd also respond to "spoo.<stuff>",
too. I gotta figure out how to do such nonsense someday. But I've no
real application for it now. Imagine, though, breaking a one machine
spam reception record when name attacks on both usernames and host
names within your wildcard network pop up.....

{^_-}   (Pessimism is fun. I either am gratified that at least I was
        right or else I am pleasantly surprised.)