Fedora Extras is extra

William M. Quarles quarlewm at jmu.edu
Tue Nov 30 03:44:39 UTC 2004

Dag Wieers wrote:

<snip>
> Apt allows this by use of pinning packages/repositories (a feature that
> Yum does not have either) although the configuration if Apt's pinning
> functionality is a major disaster and should be part of a developer's hall
> of shame all by itself :)

I've used APT to upgrade packages, and I've read about this "pinning"
feature before; what is this "pinning"?

> applications lack functionality that users want. Especially if it can be
> automated fairly easily (ie. the path of the least amount of work).
>
> BTW the core packages that are replaced (at least from the RPMforge
> project, FreshRPMS, Dries, Dag and PlanetCCRMA) are minor, only for
> leaf-packages (not libraries) and if there's a real need. My website has a
> Rationale attached to each of these packages.

I just got told about this Fedora Alternatives subproject; sounds like
the same stuff only it probably won't work as good as FreshRPMS, et al.
Seriously, the replacement packages that I have used never break
compatibility with Fedora Core programs.  They are usually adding
something to that package's features rather than taking or breaking away.

----
Peace,
William