Fedora and Moneydance install Question

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Tue Nov 30 04:33:49 UTC 2004

Terry R. Grier wrote:

> * These are the instructions on how to install moneydance.  there are
> no YUMs for it.
> I need/want this program to work with Fedora 3.
> I have followed this to the letter.  and the files are in the folder.
> But at the comand line when I type moneydance I get 'bash: moneydance:
> command not found'

If you are just typing 'moneydance' and not
'/usr/local/moneydance/moneydance', you are not following the
instructions to the letter. :-)

> *the program runs in Java.  I followed the instruction on
> fedorafaq.org and installed java first.*

Moneydance has its own version of java included in the tarball.

> *If this will not work... what program to people use for personal
> finances?  I truly enjoyed using this program.

Did moneydance quit working when you upgraded to FC3? Or, did you
upgrade moneydance and the new version quit working?

>   Once you have downloaded the appropriate package, untar the file
> into a directory on your system like so:
>
>  %> gunzip moneydance_*.tar.gz
>  %> tar xf moneydance_*.tar -C /usr/local
>
> This will create the /usr/local/moneydance directory. We use
> /usr/local as an example, Moneydance can be installed in any location.

Which version of moneydance are  you installing? Did it create the
/usr/local/moneydance dir? What does 'ls -l
/usr/local/moneydance/moneydance' show you?