Fedora Core 3 sound issues.

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 30 05:02:08 UTC 2004

Edward Croft wrote:

>I upgraded to Fedora Core 3 and have been encountering a couple of
>issues with sound.
>1st, on reboot sound is muted. I bring up the Volume Control and have to
>uncheck mute and readjust the levels.
>2nd, when running xmms, if another app makes a sound, it knocks out xmms
>(pauses), I have to click on the play icon to get it to play again. This
>is annoying when trying to listen to music and someone leaves or signs
>on to GAIM, or a message is received.
>I checked and it is running aRts.
>What has changed that has farckled my sound?

Edward,
 1st) do you have a /etc/asound.state file if so 'alsactl restore' isn't
running as per /etc/modprobe.conf.
       what I do is in /etc/rc.d/rc.local put '/usr/sbin/alsactl
restore' if it works good,if it (the  startup.ogg)
        stops when KDE boots the desktop,as in mine FC3, I put this in
~/kde/Autostart/alsactl.desktop
        [desktop Entry]
         Exec=/usr/sbin/alsactl restore
         Name=Alsactl