DVD Player

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 30 05:28:46 UTC 2004

Eric Hartwell wrote:

>On Tuesday 30 November 2004 04:22, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>

>>I could not find a DVD player as part of the FC3 package.  Sorry if I have
>>overlooked an entry.  Any recomendations on a DVD player?
>>
>>Greg Ennis
>>

>I like xine (xinehq.de). The site has a link to
>http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/ for RPMs that work well.

DCMA = Digital Millenium Copyright Act, which was started to stop all
the "digital piracy" that got started with napster and kazaa etc. From
what I have read though, they are now more concerned with making money
rather than stopping piracy and have violated as many of our rights as
customers as they have protected rights of artists.

I've read some places and heard myths that, at least for US citizens
such as myself, that a lot of the stuff we download is "illegal" because
someone isn't making money off of us. A good example is with mp3 coders.
Now downloading mp3 songs is a completely separate issue, but in the US,
someone has a copyright on the mp3 technology, so that is why
RedHat/Fedora can't ship with mp3 support, or they would have to pay big
$ in either legal penatlies or royalties. When I downloaded one of the
many mp3 encoders to rip my CD collection, I remember seeing a warning
on the website saying it "might" be illegal for US citizens to download
the file because it is copyrighted here. Now I understand how Red Hat
can't legally distribute mp3 stuff, but why would I be required to buy a
"Made in the USA" mp3 encoder rather than getting a foreign made one
when I can buy a lot of other stuff from other countries online without
getting in trouble?

And how is a DVD player program illegal? I have not heard of this yet
and am curious how that works??? I know about region codes &
restrictions, and that bypassing them is "illegal," but what is the deal
with mplayer and xine. I use them both and don't see how I am breaking
any laws...