FC3 Install Problems with SCSI-Only Machine

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 30 08:04:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 01:02 +0000, John William wrote:
> Edward wrote:
>
> >In the install, just before it gets to the hard drive stuff, I used to have to switch to a separate
> >console that had a bash prompt and type in the modprobe command relevant to my scsi card.
> >I think you then also have to modprobe sg (scsi generic?) module, then you should be good
> >to go.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Ed.
>
> Yes, I thought of that. I checked the consoles, but none seems to have a
> shell running at this point in the install.

You'll need a driver disk for your SCSI card to handle this, and you'll
almost certainly need to create this yourself. Unfortunately there's not
a lot of information around the Net on building driver disks for Fedora
(most of the information is for 2.4.x kernels and Red Hat 7.x driver
disks). I've made one for the unsupported Advansys SCSI card in one of
my home machines that I used to install FC3 with; I'll try to post a
quick HOWTO later on when I've more time.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>