OT: fighting rbl's

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Tue Nov 30 08:52:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, November 30, 2004 12:18, Thomas Zehetbauer said:
> I have been repeatedly affected by RBL providers incorrectly listing my
> static IP address in their dial-up ranges causing my messages to be
> rejected by the servers of several clueless wannabe administrators.

I'd in the first instance ask myself why my IP got into their list. You
wouldn't have had your server open for public relay in the past (or
still), would you? I believe tackling the root cause should be the first
step.

> I first thought of a cronjob to nag the removal contact about once per
> hour, but I doubt this account does ever get read.

With this attitude I understand why your IP is in black-lists ;-)

> Currently I am trying to use all contacts I can find for the RBL
> provider and recipient domain and ask them to unlist my IP and/or stop
> using the broken RBL.

Yepp. On top, you may talk to the final receipient and inform him about
the unprofessional mail admin (if this is really true, see above) he's
paying fees to. His voice to an ISPs mail admin will be stronger than
yours.

> Launch wget with an invalid URL once per second to put my removal
> request in their httpd log?

Or better hack into their mail server and fix the problem yourself :-P

> Reciprocally blocking their domain from delivering here?
Which would put you on the same level of mail admin you claim they are...

> Any other ideas?
Using a relay, at least as a backup...

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>