Contributing code to open-source in EU?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 30 11:11:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, VJ wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I will read that and pass it on to my manager.
> My agreement says 'All my work during my tenure is owned by my
> company', but the thing I am talking about is NO work!!! It is hobby
> :)

i doubt that would be a meaningful distinction.  if you signed such a
contract, you might be screwed.  but is that a verbatim statement from
your contract?  it seems kinda vague.  what's the definition of
"work"?  what's the definition of "tenure"?  does it encompass only
regular working hours?  etc, etc.

you mention that you're from india.  can you get a look at contracts
that were signed by other employees, both foreign and native, and see
if they differ in the wording?  it seems that this might be an illegal
contract and they're taking advantage of your work situation.

anyway, IANAL so i'm just thinking out loud.

rday

p.s.  if you are, in fact, a foreign worker, even if you're legally in
the right, you might not want to press the issue since it might
jeopardize your work situation.  just some friendly advice.