Subject: Re: DVD Player

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 30 11:54:38 UTC 2004

(Top-post snipped & pasted below)

Jay Scherrer wrote:

>>On Tuesday 30 November 2004 12:38 am, Scott wrote:
>>
>>>I'm curious....
>>>
>>>Who do the commercial distros pay to include such software?
>>
>>Well, I'm not aware of any major distro right now shipping a legal
>>dvd-player. The only and first one was TurboLinux a few months ago
>>shipping CyberLink PowerDVD.
>>
>>Soon after that, HP started selling their Linux laptop (which comes
>>with SUSE) and it had LinDVD on it.  Note: the SUSE distro does not
>>come with LinDVD. This was mainly an HP & Intervideo arrengement
>>(it seems).
>>
>>Right now, you can't buy LinDVD or PowerDVD. They're just doing
>>business with OEM's.
>>
>>So..asking your question, these distros may pay the company that
>>produces the dvd player...and these dvd companies may pay the
>>technology owners...
>>
>>HTH
>>Jorge
>

 > My DVD payer works great with xcdroast and  FC1. Only after Fedora's
 > kernel went 2.6, then it broke. X-CD-Roast is a great CD/DVD
 > authoring  tool. And Jörg Schilling had renewed his free ProDVD-key
 > till March 5th 2005. But since the kernel upgrade, something went
 > wrong. Xcdroast had been a major package until kernel 2.6.
 > Here is what <http://xcdroast.org> has to say: "Linux Kernel 2.6.8
 > broke CD-Writing:
 > I had several reports that the last 2.6.x kernel broke CD-Writing
 > using the ATAPI driver. Don't update if you want to continue to use
 > X-CD-Roast, or switch back to SCSI-emulation."
 >
 > How do we request  a response to fix this?
 > Jay Scherrer
 >
 > On Monday 29 November 2004 09:43 pm, fedora-list-request at redhat.com
 > wrote:

Maybe it's just too early and maybe I'm dense full time but I really
fail to see the connection between DVD players and Xcdroast. Getting
beyond that, though, I'm currently running Fedora Core Release 3
rj at mavis ~]$ uname -a
Linux mavis.localdomain 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux
and I wrote (and verified) a DVD using Xcdroast just yesterday. Yes, I
remember seeing something about 2.6.8 kernels having problems and there
is a possibility that future kernels will, too.  All I can say is that
if you absolutely, definitely, positively MUST write a DVD any time the
notion hits you, you really need to be dual booting with FC1 or some
other static distribution.