How to purge messages in Thunderbird.

Justin Crabtree crabtrej at otc.edu
Tue Nov 30 14:44:23 UTC 2004

VJ wrote:

>> Hi
>>    It is a small question related to ThunderBird. I have set a
>> property in my IMAP email account settings due to which the messages
>> will not be moved to Trash when deleted, but will be marked as
>> deleted. Now I want to have something which is similar to Purge in
>> Outlook Express to delete the messages that have been marked as deleted.
>>
>> I tried searching for it before writing this mail to the list.
>>
>> Regards from
>> VJ
>>
> I Got it!!!
> It was File->Compact Folders.
>
> I wrongly assumed it was something like Outlook which compacts the local
> folders.
>
> VJ

If you want to messages to be deleted but not immediately purged, that
would seem to be the way to do it.  If you want them immediately purged,
in Tools, Account Settings, Server Settings, is the "When I delete a
message" setting.  The "Remove it immediately" option should do exactly
what is says.

--
Justin Crabtree
Java Programmer