strange GUI display problem

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 17:40:28 UTC 2004

I just installed FC 3 on a Compaq iPaq desktop (don't confuse this
with the handheld iPaqs--this is a regular computer). It's a 1Ghz pIII
with 384Mb of RAM so it should be able to handle FC3 fine. The only
unusual thing about this computer is that it's USB-only--it was
designed for the corporate market as basically a commodity computer so
all the hardware is built-in--there are no PCI slots, etc. But the
install didn't have trouble finding the USB keyboard and mouse, or the
built-in network, sound, and video.

The built-in video appears to be "Intel 815." I have it attached to a
21" Mitsubishi DiamondPro monitor. Both were identified fine by the OS
during the install. But I'm suffering a very strange problem with the
display. Basically, parts of windows and menu that pop-up are not
visible until I mouse-over them, and then only in parts. I can also
get them to show up by dragging another window over them.

Other similar problems happen too, like the text in this window I'm
typing doesn't show up until I move the window around and click on
menus, etc. And then windows that I close don't always disappear from
the screen until something else takes that spot on the display.

I tried switching xorg.xonf to using the generic VESA driver, but got
no display there. I'm not a real X expert so I didn't take it farther
than that.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Matt