ppp connection to Tungsten E fails

Kevin Wang rightsock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:27:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:59:18 +0100, Anca Tibor-Attila <anca.tibor at gmx.de> wrote:
> I used my Palm Tungsten E under SuSE 9.1 prof. quite easy, without
> problems. I set up the ppp connection according to a script in the net:
>
> # PalmPPP - By Patrick Khoo - March 6, 2000
> # See how we were started
>
> case "$1" in
>   start)
>         # Start PPP  Link to Palm
>         echo -n "Starting PalmPPP: "
>
>         /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyUSB1 115200 192.168.0.2:192.168.0.5 \
>         passive local crtscts noauth nodeflate proxyarp \
>         -detach ms-dns 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 \
>         asyncmap 0
>
>         echo "Done."
>         echo " "
>         ;;
>
>   stop)
>         # Stop PPP  Link to Palm
>         echo -n "Stopping PalmPPP: "
>
>         killall pppd
>
>         echo "Done."
>         echo ""
>         ;;
>
>   *)
>         echo "Usage: palmppp {start|stop}"
>         echo " "
>         exit 1
>
> esac
>
> exit 0
>
> Thi I needed for my AvantGo and VersaMail settings. The thing functioned
> without problems; I could fetch my mails, send them, synchronize with
> AvantGo. Since I am under Fedora Core 3 the Palm device allways tells
> me, it is not able to resolve (e.g. pop.gmx.net); it asks, if I could
> provide the numeric IP of the server. I did it, but it did not help.
> The device knows a primary DNS (that is my router, I am hanging on); I
> did not change anything on the script above, I just burned it and
> copied onto the new system.

I'm going to presume that the ppp link is working ok. you should be
able to verify this by ping'ing the palm.

Try pinging the palm from the machine directly connected.
then try from the dns server, or some other machine, using your
machine as a router. I bet it won't work.

Is packet forwarding turned on?

what ip is your machine?

what routes exist in your next upstream router?

Do you have any firewall rules blocking packets?

tcpdump -i ppp0

You will probably want to setup NAT so that the network doesn't have
to know that your machine is a router. simplifies things a whole
bunch.

   - Kevin