OT: fighting rbl's

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 30 20:07:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 20:57 +0100, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On Die, 2004-11-30 at 08:22 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > What's your IP address and which DNSBLs (RBL is a trademark of MAPS LLC)
> > are you referring to?
>
> In fact it _is_ MAPS LLC.

Could it be that your ISP nominated the address range for inclusion on
the MAPS DUL? The page at http://www.mail-
abuse.com/services/mds_dul.html says:

  "While the majority of listings on the MAPS DUL are dynamically
   assigned IP addresses (including dialup, DSL and cable connections),
   the MAPS DUL also includes some static addresses where the owning
   ISP has requested a listing due to contractual prohibitions against
   the usage of servers on that address. We invite ISPs to help protect
   their networks, as well as others, by sharing with us those
   addresses under their control that should be listed on the MAPS DUL."

Have you asked your ISP about this, or requested your ISP request
removal of your address? They might be more willing to listen to the ISP
than to you, especially since the whois record for your IP says:

inetnum:      212.186.110.0 - 212.186.111.255
netname:      VIE-14-CUSTOMER-CABLE
descr:        chello Austria
descr:        Customers in Vienna headend 14

Which appears to be prime DUL fodder.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>