Trouble with Netgear WG511 under FC3 on emachines 6805 (AMD64).

Kevin Freeman kfreem02 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 30 19:45:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 20:09 -0800, Kedar Patankar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:54:43 -0800, Kedar Patankar <kedarnp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an emachines M6805 laptop with WG511 cardbus wireless card. I
> > have an FC2 installation on this puppy and it works like a champ using
> > WEP. I am trying to install FC3 on this laptop and I can't get the
> > wireless card to work. I copied the f/w I am using under FC2 (which I
> > got from the XP driver) to /lib/firmware and inserted the line "alias
> > eth1 islpci_cb" to /etc/modprobe.conf. I also tried out the f/w

The correct module name is prism54.  What happens when you enter
"modprobe prism54" followed by "iwconfig"?  "ifup eth1" should now bring
everything to life.  If the network is now working then change the alias
line in modprobe.conf.

> > available from prism54.org. But the whole thing is dead - I don't see
> > any activity on the card - no blinking LEDs - nothing.
> >
> > Has anyone else managed to get WG511 working under FC3? Or is it an
> > x86_64 specific problem? I do remember people mentioning success with
> > WG511 on FC3-T3 on prism54.org

My WG511 works perfectly in my PIII laptop running FC3.  I have no
experience with the WG511 and x86_64.

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Regards/Kedar.

Kevin Freeman