About VNC

Leif Schaffner redirect at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 30 20:20:03 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> redirect said:
> [snip]
>
>>>Yup, if your vncserver is running on :1, for example, you may access
>>>the viewer via a java-enabled web browser at http://<hostname or ip
>>>address>:5801. Note, that, in this case, port 5801 must be open on your
>>> firewall. For testing purposes, you may want to try all this on
>>>localhost just to see if it works without fussing with the firewalls.
>>>

>>I didn't know you could do that :-) If you wanted to do that remotely --
>>then all you would have to do is create a ssh tunnel for the browser --
>>right ??
>
> No, you need to create a tunnel for both the HTTP server (5801) and for
> the RFB (5901).  The only thing you get from the HTTP server is the java
> viewer.  The java viewer still needs to be able to talk back to the VNC
> server.

This piqued my curiously and I just skimmed a few vnc* man pages.

With some creative hacking & redirection -- can I allow a windowz java
enabled browser as a vnc-client into my FC3 box using existing ports and
services?

I'm thinking about (apache+enabled home directories) handle the HTTP
portion through :443 & ssh handle the RFB ??

can I do this with a shell script & few config files -- or do I have go
deeper ??
---
The short answer would be great -- I'm not going to waste my time if I
can't make this work with a shell script.