OT: fighting rbl's

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Tue Nov 30 21:15:38 UTC 2004

fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote:
> On Die, 2004-11-30 at 08:22 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> What's your IP address and which DNSBLs (RBL is a trademark of MAPS
>> LLC) are you referring to?
>
> In fact it _is_ MAPS LLC.

Ah, well then...  THere have been... *issues* with MAPS over the years.

>>> Launch wget with an invalid URL once per second to put my removal
>>> request in their httpd log?
>>
>> That's abusive; don't do it.
>
> I consider it abusive to block my legitimate mail from getting
> through, so what.

So you believe in fighting abuse with abuse?  Not to mention that you've not
demonstrated that abuse has been committed; the receiving mail servers are
well within their rights to block mail from ANYONE, for whatever reason they
choose.  They could block mail from odd-numbered IP addresses if they chose;
you have absolutely no right to demand that they deliver your mail just
because you deem it "legitimate".  Choosing to abuse their servers is
something more likely to get you landed in jail than get you satisfaction.

>>> Reciprocally blocking their domain from delivering here?
>>
>> That's fine: your mail server, your rules. However, if they did
>> eventually make a query regarding your removal request, you probably
>> wouldn't want to reject it.
>
> Of course, but it seems that they are ignoring my removal request
> anyway.
>
> Tom

It seems you need to focus your efforts on Chello, not MAPS.

 -Don