What happened to gqview

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Nov 30 22:02:00 UTC 2004

Yah, I know all the excuses.

The point I am making is that, In my view and obviously
the view of many others :

gqview -> very very close to gthumb = NOT

gqview = good general purpose graphics manager.

gthumb = good for slide shows and finding duplicates.

If there is a rational reason to remove something, then just say why,
but let people know why. Removing a package because something
else appears to you to be similar without requesting input is just
plain dumb. Many people use applications for different reasons
and what is good for you, may completely suck for someone else
that is why there is a diversity of software.

You may like balsa over evolution, but that doesn't mean that
evolution does not have far greater merit to someone else.

As far as it concerns me there are 4GB of useless software in FC3,
but I would guess that there are groups who couldn't live with out
each of the pieces of software I feel are worthless, I just don't install
them.

 From the point you seem to be attempting to make, fedora core should
be a basic system with essential software, and then you go and get the
extra stuff you want. If that is what you meant, then just come out and
say it, and then either provide a utility like synaptic that is capable of
getting the extras.

Matthew Miller wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 01:29:06PM -0700, Guy Fraser wrote:
>

>>elm, pico, gqview, xv, xawtv, wine and lilo.
>>

>   ^      \    \      \      \    \         \___ actually, still there!
>  not      \    \      \      \    \
>maintained  \    \  shareware! \   not ready
>            |     \             \ for prime time
>        not open   |            |
>         source,   |         not sure;
>  replaced by nano |        an mpeg issue?
>      clone        |
>                very very
>               close to
>                gthumb

Lilo has apparently been promoted from removed to depreciated.

--
Guy Fraser