OT: fighting rbl's

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Tue Nov 30 22:10:03 UTC 2004

On Die, 2004-11-30 at 16:15 -0500, Don Levey wrote:
> fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote:
> > On Die, 2004-11-30 at 23:34 +0800, HaJo Schatz wrote:
> >
> > Chello is one of the better providers here and assigns all of their
> > customers an IP that usually remains unchanged for many years.
> >
> How are you defining 'best'?  My personal experience with Chello differs...

Only nature as a whole may be perfect. I could tell you some providers
that are better than chello in some aspects, but none of them is
perfect. Many providers are worse in that they assign their customers a
different IP on each connection and either cannot track down abusers or
store the connection data in violation of national law.

> My experience differs, as I mentioned.  With 228,000 customers, it's how
> they *respond* to spam which shows how they nurture it.  If they keep their
> system wide open, and block users only after they spam, they nurture spam
> because they're allowing "one free bite" of the pie.  This also leads to
> "whack-a-mole" activities, where someone gets a throwaway account, spams
> until they lose it, and then establishes another account at the same
> provider (meanwhile, the drop box, web page, whatever is on another
> provider).

AFAIK their policies do not differ from most other providers, you get an
account in good trust and get kicked if you abuse it. Additionally we
have anti spam laws in Austria, can you say that of your country? Also I
am pretty certain that chello does not give another account to someone
who was kicked for spamming.

Would you want to shut down all providers and thereby the whole internet
just because someone could abuse their system for spamming? Would you
want every provider to ask you for permission to give an account to xyz?
You would better cut your own connection and stop whining.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Die Post ist eine Institution zur verteuerten Verlangsamung der
Briefzustellung mit dem Ziel der Selbstabholung gegen zehnfache Gebühr.
          C. Northcote Parkinson