Fedora Extras is extra

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 23:44:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:21:17 -0800, Mike Ramirez <mike at thexxxhost.com> wrote:
> My only goal is to get a solution so everyone involved is happy and know
> one feels bad or hurt or anything esle.

As soon as preventing hurt feelings becomes the goal for any technical
solution... you have allowed emotion to trump technical merit and
substantiative progress.  The only way to avoid bad feelings is to
keep the discussion above personal politics, stay focused on larger
goals, and to make sure everyone communicates their priorities up
front. New solutions may or may not obsolete previous attempts to
solve the problem... and you can't even count on different people to
define the problem to be solved similarly. But we must not let the
emotional attachment to any specific technical implementation hold us
back from choosing the best solution to solve the larger priorities
and to make the best use of the resources at hand.  It's unfortunate
that this issue has become personal to a number of people, but I will
not let personal politics hold the progress of the Fedora project
hostage.  There is a saying about omelets and broken eggs that would
seem appropriate.

-jef"my love for omelets is just a convenient covert for my fetish for
breaking eggs"spaleta