GImp batch mode

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sat Oct 2 12:11:00 UTC 2004

TongKe Xue wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I want to use gimp to convert a bunch of files from one image format
> to another.
>
>   "man gimp" returns nothing.
>
>   "gimp --help" mentions the option "--batch <commands>" ... sounds
> like I should be able to write some script -- can anyone offer
> pointers / enlighten me on this?
>
> Thanks,
> --TongKe

You could use ImageMagick to do this job for you. To learn more about
ImageMagick's use check out this tutorial:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-graf/

The command you need to convert formats has a tutorial at this url:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-graf/?ca=dnt-428#N101E0

For example here is a hacked together script that I use every now and
then to rotate all the photos in directory  -- be aware that it will
replace the original images with the rotated ones! I should probably fix
things to store the rotated images elsewhere :-(

Hope this helps,
Clint

#!/usr/bin/perl

# Name: rotateemall
# Author: Clint Harshaw
# Date Late Modified: 19 MAR 2004

# Rotate all jpg files in a directory

use strict;

print "\nEnter path: ";

my $dirname = <STDIN>;
chomp $dirname;

opendir(DIR, $dirname) or die "I'm afraid I can't open the directory
named $dirname: $!";

while (defined(my $file = readdir(DIR))) {
     next unless $file =~ /^*.jpg$/;
     system "mogrify -rotate '90>' $file";
}

closedir(DIR);