text vs html posts on this list...

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Oct 4 13:37:14 UTC 2004

On Sunday, Oct 3rd 2004 at 15:23 -0500, quoth Carlos Davila:

=>Hi, I recently received an email from someone yelling in my ear tellimg me not
=>to post html messages to the list. Are there email clients that can't read
=>html? Is there a list rule about what format to post in? If so, I apologize
=>for the html posts and I will post in text from now on.

I run a number of mailing lists but because I use majordomo2 (instead of
Mailman) I have *much* finer control over the system. One of the things I
do in mj2 is to have a rule that converts html etc to plaintext. Also,
*all* attachments get stripped. This way, my subscribers are guaranteed
that they will never get a virus. And by limiting the people who are
allowed post to the subscribers I knock out all the spammers too.

Yes, many email clients do support html. That doesn't make it right. If
you want to send something complicated to an individual who you know can
handle it then that's different than sending to a list. Email in general
and lists in particular whould always be in plaintext. The fact that
you're asking has just elevated you above the rest of the html posters who
continue to do it. Thanks. :-)

steveo at syslang.net