Fedora, Apache & PHP

Bryan McClellan bmcclellan at evo-systems.net
Fri Oct 8 00:57:39 UTC 2004

Most of these packages can be found with the distribution. I currently
use Sendmail for SMTP (which should install by default and configured
for local mail delivery). However I have been told that POSTFIX is much
easier to configure. Dovecot, which comes with the distribution, as an
IMAP server and OpenWebmail for a web UI to end user mail.

http://www.sendmail.org

http://www.postfix.org

1. I would suggest learning about "yum" or "apt". Yum should install by
default and apt (which I prefer to use, just have always used it no real
idea why) you can get from freshrpms.net. These will greatly help in
installing and uninstalling packages (programs). Both use RPM's which
will update and keep track of your packages in the RPM database for
maintenance and queries. Try this link.

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

2. The compilation package suggested by the previous list recipient
sounds like exactly what you are looking for in terms of PHP, Apache
etc... For development if the instructions are to tough  ;-).

3. As far as Network configuration, that is a very general question and
could entail allot of scenarios and setups depending on your network
scenario. Please be more specific and I will be happy to help.

4. Try using Webmin to start out with. You can install the RPM and use
it for system and Server configuration (very easy to use) .

http://webmin.com/

5. As far as a single resource I suggest buying a book. They always seem
to work for me and you can read the book and post or Google any
questions as they come along. My reason being is that a post to ask
questions or to look for a single resource for documentation will wind
up with a book full of information.

P.S.   As far as the media server. I have been playing with "Freevo"
since returning home from work. I would say "Get ready to spend some
time with Fedora (Linux)  :-) ". I am having a hell of a time getting my
mp3 directory loaded so that I can use the Jukebox function. This seems
to be a package that is under extreme development.. My favorite  :-)..

You are in a very good place for information on Linux (fedora-list).

Keep me posted on how everything is going.