make modules_install : unknown symbols

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Oct 15 03:21:12 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 15.10.2004 schrieb John Francis Lee um 4:54:

> > >  cp /boot/.config-2.6.5-1.358 .config
> > >  make oldconfig
> >
> > You should run "make oldconfig" twice - just to be sure. Under some
> > conditions that is needed.
> What about the guy in the previous post, Jeff Vian, who tells me this is
> the wrong thing to do to begin with?

He did tell you to better choose the better fitting
/boot/.config-2.6.8-1.521 kernel config file because you did take the
one for the older 2.6.5 kernel.

> > >  make xconfig
> >
> > What do you change here? Do you add modules or deactivate some?
>
> I removed many modules that I do not need. The default Fedora config
> makes so many modules that the make had previously failed when I ran out
> of room on my root volume.

So, when you start from scratch building your custom kernel, then start
editing and removing modules from bottom of the xconfig window. This
takes better care that you do not remove things on top which are needed
by others below.

> John Francis Lee <jfl at robinlea.com>

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 05:17:27 up 1 day, 28 users, load average: 0.30, 0.24, 0.22