FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Fri Oct 15 15:41:41 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-10-15 10:17, John Hodrien whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Tom Yates wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Ken Johanson wrote:
>>
>>> But since it didnt detect my DGE-530 NIC, and the drivers that Dlink
>>> kindly provides need to be compiled, I'm SCREWED by the politics
>>> because a bunch of headers and fundamantal-to-any-Linux kernel
>>> source is not installed. Thats right, the most rudimentary component
>>> of the system besides the kernel itslef, not placed in
>>> /usr/src/linux. Flame*Nuclear.
>>

>> i'm sorry if this is a really dim question, but in what sense is the
>> kernel source not available?  i have the kernel-source package
>> installed, and it's stuck about a quarter of a gig of files under
>> /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358. they look a lot like the source of such
>> kernels as i've built recently.
>>
>> am i completely missing some important point?  is this not the kernel
>> source?
>

> No, AFAIK you're missing nothing.  The kernel source is provided, and
> he's
> just having a big rant about nothing.
>
> Dim questions are usually the ones that are worth asking...
>
> jh

The OP never did mention which version of Fedora he was talking about,
or how he got it.

However, I just installed FC 3 test 3, checked the "everything" box, and
there are no kernel sources I can find.  Up2date offered a new kernel,
but did not offer kernel sources.  So I dunno, but of course it *is* a
test version.

My FC2 is dual-booted on this machine, and I'm sure it has kernel
sources, but I'm not sure whether they installed with "everything" or if
I picked them up later with apt.

In either case, it *might* be that the OP has a valid point, perhaps
someone should check.  Does just checking "software development" or
whatever boxes on installation install the kernel source?  Having it
available by yum or apt is a catch-22 if you need them to get your NIC
working....

--
Fritz Whittington
"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set