FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Oct 15 17:13:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 16:30 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Perhaps he's referring to the upcoming FC3, which will not be shipping with a
> kernel-sourcecode RPM (though the kernel source will still be available in the
> kernel src.rpm of course, albeit not in /usr/src/linux-*)?

Does anyone have a one-paragraph explanation of why this choice was
made? I usually don't install the kernel-sourcecode RPM (née kernel-
source) since I don't want an additional 100-200MB of stuff on my disk
if I can avoid it.

But every so often, I have to install VMWare or some other software that
wants the kernel source to be installed. "up2date kernel-sourcecode" has
been a fantastically easy way to do that without have to learn arcana.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>