FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Oct 15 18:27:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 12:00 -0600, Ken Johanson wrote:
> But my cage rattling is about "Why is the kernel source not included",
> not lack or headers. If I could have just rpm/bzipped the source from
> one of the discs we wouldnt even be here right now.

I've been attempting to read up on and understand this issue since the
flamewar started. Am I correct in thinking that the kernel source code
can now be found in one of the SRPM packages? If so, then it's still on
the disks, right? So Red Hat *does* distribute them?

Note: I am aware that the SRPMS disks are a different set, and that
someone would then have to download the binary ISO images plus either
the kernel SRPMS independently or the SRPMS ISO images as well. However,
it sounds like a more-consistent approach since all source code is found
in SRPMS rather than in binary RPM packages.

What, if anything, am I missing?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>