start-stop-daemon not found

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Oct 15 20:00:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 08:52, Edwin Dicker wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm installing and trying to run a script which analyses iptablelogs. ( someone posted this link this week : www.gege.org/iptables )
> I've come to the point where I should be able to start the iptablelog script which contains the following command :
>
> case $1 in
> start)
>       echo -n "Starting $LONGNAME: ";
>       start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid --exec $DAE
> MON -- --background
>       echo $NAME;
>         ;;
>
> The script errors with complaining it cant find start-stop-daemon.
> I have been looking around but I 'm not able to find it, except for a source C file in /usr/share/doc/SysVinit-2.85/start-stop-daemon.c. it comes out of the SysVinit-2.85 package.
>
> I'm trying to compile this file with gcc -o start-stop-daemon start-stop-daemon.c , again with many errors.

This is not a C program code file.

Did you read the file INSTALL and related files in the iptables
directory created when you extracted the tarball?

The referenced iptables/doc/faq.html gives very clear installation
instructions, and I did not find anywhere it said to run make.

Don't compile, just follow the configure/install instructions.