FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 16 00:03:45 UTC 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 19:02, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 12:59 -0600, Ken Johanson wrote:
>> Wrong. Source is *no longer* being included in the install discs,
>> relegating one to searching redhat's site or prior downloading of
>> 4*650MB=2.6 Gigs or source RPMs
>
>Oh, come on... I'm no expert, and even *I* know that this...
>
># wget -c ftp://$YOURMIRROR/$PATH/kernel*rpm
>
>...will get me a small subset of files in which I am *guaranteed* to
>find the right one. Better commands (...kernel-smp*rpm) could easily
> be created for an even smaller set. If you even contemplate
> downloading the entire 2.6GB of SRPMS just to get one, you don't
> have the Clue you claim to have.
>
>> e simp
>>
>> A divergence from the point that the source is *not available*
>
>Not available on the first four disks, you mean. OK fine, I see your
>point. But:

That is _precisely_ the point.  Why should anyone who wants the src
have to dl the src iso's at 670MB each until he finds the one the
kernel srcs *might* be in.

Thats extremely counter-productive when an extra 50 megs on disk 2, or
on the currrently 2.4GB dvd iso (see?  2.2+GB spare space left over,
plenty of room for the kernel srcs I'd think) and the whole squawk
becomes moot with at most an extra few minutes of dl time in the
first place.  Of the 3 linux boxes I have here, precisely one is
running a default fedora 2 kernel and its not this one.  The FC3T3
dvd won't even boot on this machine, hanging on the startup of
pcmcia.  I don't own a machine with a pcmcia slot, so why is it
trying to start it?  Granted, this has little to do with the lack of
readily available kernel srcs, so I'll shuddup on that subject.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)