(no subject)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Oct 19 04:11:42 UTC 2004

On 10/18/2004 08:49:25 PM, BILLDEVLP at aol.com wrote:
> To Day is 10-18-04
> HELLO: I am new here and have couple questions about FC distros.
> First
> of all
> the FC1 as REDHAT 9.0 allowed to make a boot floppy if you wanted but
> FC2
> installation just finishes without asking for boot floppy creation. I
> wander why
> is this. I heard a theory that the kernel is too big to fit on a
> floppy

That is correct - the kernel is too fat for a floppy.

> so can
> the boot is put on two floppies? I tried to put initrd on a second
> disk but what
> literature I was using looks like is obsolete. Any body have any
> opinion? The
> boot floppy to me is very important because you can put many distros
> on the
> same hard drive in an extended partition (on the same PC for
> evaluation)
> without interfering with each other and do not screw up the MB (for
> instance the
> NTFS partition in Windows)
> Bill

There are several solutions to that - one is called GAG (which is
spanish stands for Graphical Boot Loader) or you could just use grub
for the same thing.

I think you can make a grub boot floppy without any kernels on it, I
know for fact gag will do what you want.