Enabling VNC

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Oct 19 20:32:27 UTC 2004

Jeremy Conlin wrote:
> My xstartup looked nearly the same.  I uncommented the exec... line
> earlier and just now uncommented the unset... line.  After rebooting
> (and restarting vncserver) and closing the firewall it came up just the
> way I expected it to.  Now, how can I configure the firewall to accept
> vnc connections without turning it off?  And how can I get vncserver to
> start on boot?

What has been discussed so far is how to create a VNC connection to a
new virtual desktop (thus the :1 in the display name).

I think what you are looking for is how to control your console X11
desktop from a remote machine.  This can be done with a small change to
your X11 config.

In your Section "Module", include the following:

	# Load the REALVnc module
	Load	"vnc"

Then, later on in your Section "Screen", you will need a line like:

	Option	"passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"

This should allow to to  connect to your :0 X11 display and control it
via VNC.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com