GUI firewall

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Wed Oct 20 13:12:02 UTC 2004

Jeremy Conlin wrote:
> The more I have to use the firewall, the more I get scared because I
> find it very cryptic.  I have been trying to enable vnc (see thread
> titled 'enabling vnc') and cannot do it unless the firewall is
> disabled.  Becuase I am still new to Linux and can't get completely away
> from my GUI, I need something to help me.  I am sure that there is a GUI
> firewall program out there, I just haven't found one yet.  Is there one
> that is recommended over another?

I just tried KMyFirewall yesterday, got it off

http://rockerssoft.org/apt/fedora/2/en/i386/RPMS.rockerssoft/

The project's home page (screenshots :)) is:
http://kmyfirewall.sourceforge.net/

Now, it's nowhere as easy as a very basic windows firewall, but it is a
whole lot more powerful.

Note: I experienced some GUI bugs with it, which basically killed my KDE
once or twice. So close your apps and save all important files before
you play with it. :) It's not quite production quality yet, you know,
but it looks promising.

Good luck,

//Andro

--