Remote connection to MySQL server...?

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 20 15:12:44 UTC 2004

Hello,
I'm having a few issues with MySQL using the FC2 distro.

First off, I can't remotely connect to the database.  I did:

GRANT ALTER,CREATE,DELETE,DROP,INSERT,SELECT
ON mydb.*
FOR 'cjb'@'*'

That added a corresponding entry into mysql.user, but when I try to connect
by a remote machine via tora, it says it can't open a connection.
Connecting via tora on the localhost works fine.  Do I need a specific port
open on my firewall?

My second problem is really more a nuisance than a real problem.  When I
execute "service mysqld start", it sits there for a while then finally says
about timing out then [failed].  Well, it didn't fail cuz I can connect and
use the database just fine...so whats up with the failure message (and semi
long wait for the "timeout")?

Thanks for the help.