MPlayer and Windows Media videos--sound, but no picture!

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Oct 21 23:05:39 UTC 2004

Temlakos wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> Mplayer has a problem with Windows Media ".wmv" files and, for that
> matter, QuickTime ".mov" files. Mozilla's plugin for those files gives
> me sound, but no picture. I can play MPEG's and .asf files without a
> problem--picture and sound--and I also can play any commercial DVD
> (though mplayer doesn't let me see the interactive menu, but just lets
> me select the title and chapter by the numbers). A lot of Web sites out
> there offer streaming video in the ".wmv" format, and it's a little
> annoying to get them with sound, but no picture. (I also installed
> RealPlayer 10, and that plays videos without a problem.)
>
> I'll take any suggestion I can get.
>
> Temlakos

I've got just the opposite behavior. When I point my browser to this url
to see the Blade: Trinity trailer I get the video but no sound with
mplayer in mozilla:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/blade_trinity/trailer/

I suspect it's a codec problem, but oddly Mandrake 10 doesn't suffer the
same problem.

Clint