problem with xine freshly installed

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Fri Oct 22 01:38:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:35:12 -0400, Filippos Klironomos wrote
> Hello list,
>
>   I tried to watch 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' last night with
> xine but there were too many dropping frames so I had to switch to
> 'mplayer' but since I haven't used it I couldn't figure out how to
> enable the subtitles, I tried 'v', 'j', 'F' but nothing worked.
> Anyway! I did a 'xine-check' which is the first thing they tell you
> to do and here is the result:
>
> $ xine-check
> Please be patient, this script may take a while to run...
> [ good ] you're using Linux, doing specific tests
> [ good ] looks like you have a /proc filesystem mounted.
> [ good ] You seem to have a reasonable kernel version (2.6.5-1.358-1)
> [ good ] intel compatible processor, checking MTRR support
> [ good ] you have MTRR support and there are some ranges set.
> [ good ] found the player at /usr/bin/xine
> [ good ] /usr/bin/xine is in your PATH
> [ hint ] No xine-config found. Assuming xine from RPMs
>          The xine-config script can be used to deternime some file locations
>          used by xine-lib, but you don't have such a script on your system.
>          However, it looks like you installed xine from the RedHat packages.
>          So I'll just guess that you are using the standard
> locations.         If you want me to be sure about those file
> locations, you can install         the 'xine-lib-devel' package (or
> 'xine-devel', depend on what packages         you're using, which
> contains xine-config. However, this package is         not really
> needed to run xine...         press <enter> to continue...
[snip]
> Anybody has any good ideas or similar problem?
>
> Thanks!
> F.

For Xine to function properly you will also need to install the following:-

xine-lib-devel* (Which ever matches your installed version)
libdvdnav       (DVD Navigator)
libdvdcss
libdvdplay
libdvdread

There are a few others, but I can't think of them right now, but this should
get you going.

I've used Xine for quite a few years now, and it does play pretty much all the
video formats out there now. And it's quite easy to use.

Wolf