Enabling VNC

Jeremy Conlin jeremyconlin at mail.weber.edu
Fri Oct 22 03:28:35 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-21 22:22:31 -0400, "Kevin J. Cummings"
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> said:

>> Well, I ended up rebooting the machine and didn't need to restart the X
>> server.  I can log into the machine via ssh with X11 forwarding and
>> then issue
>>
>> vncviewer localhost:1
>
> No, if the machine you logged into is running at initlevel 5, and you
> are trying to connect to the console X server, you should use:
>
> vncviewer localhost:0
>
> I'm very copnfused by your insistance of connecting to DISPLAY :1.
> I thought you were trying to control your console X11 session?
I am not insisting on using Display :1.  Whatever is the best option,
that is what I would like to use.
I have successfully been able to open the firewall and to log in via a
client and also after I ssh into the machine and do

vncviewer localhost:0

I have not been able to successfully been able to do that from my
macintosh.  However, that may simply be the fault of the vncviewer that
I am using.  Has anyone else done this from a Mac?

Thanks again for everyone's help.  You have helped another newbie jump
through the hoops of learning Linux.
Jeremy