OT Why is everyone so grouchy?

Temlakos temlakos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 16:50:45 UTC 2004

Tom:

I'll second the below, and add this: Yes, we have rules of etiquette.
But--those *same* rules prescribe a *procedure* for correcting a person
who breaks them. Yes, some people will say something rude. But there's a
polite way and a rude way to *tell* them that they are being rude.

Also, surely there's no such thing as "a stupid question," unless it's a
question to which one might *reasonably* be supposed to know the answer.
"Look it up in the archives" is all very well, but I've never been on
any list whose message archives are organized well enough for such a
search to bear fruit in what I would call an efficient manner. This is a
fault that plagues literally *every single on-line community* of which I
have been and am a member, so don't say that I'm picking on this
community. I am not. Various members have taught me some very valuable
things about running Linux in general and the Fedora Core distro in
particular. But I'm just waiting for the first person to have time to
take a snapshot of the archives and extract from them a definitive
Fedora Core textbook that we could distribute as a PDF either in the
disk images or as a separate download at the Fedora Project site. Until
someone steps forward to do this--well, all you veterans, it's up to
you, but you might consider cutting the kids a little slack.

Now I'll also allow that we ought not to bring our various
(geo)political opinions into the list, either directly (by posting
actual political observations) or indirectly (by letting those emotions,
which the current US Federal election campaign is rubbing raw, find
their way into the language we use even when *on* topic).

Last of all: Just who *are* the moderators of this list? I think every
list ought to have some kind of moderating team, and *everyone* ought to
know *who are the members of that team* so that we can know who might be
talking out-of-school. Or if the moderators want to remain anonymous,
then we all ought to have a contact address (say,
fedora-list-owner at redhat.com) that we can use to forward complaints to,
if we have any.

Needless to say, I am *not* a moderator of this list. I'm just someone
trying to learn how to use this wonderful operating system that is
available free-of-charge and has behind it the support of a community of
dedicated volunteers who are at least ready to fix a problem that comes
up, and are far more nimble as a body than a large company ever could
be.

Temlakos