HELP: GRUB or Part. Table damaged by QTPARTED!!

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Oct 25 12:25:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:25:41 +0200 (CEST), Hans Troost wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for your extensive answer and explanations: something to study for
> me, but in the meanwhile I think I understand most of it.
>
> Also executed all repair steps as you recommended, starting with booting
> using the interactive GRUB commands that you showed. Perfect!!
>
> So I repaired both FSTAB and GRUB.CONF as you told me and re-installed GRUB.
>
> But... the system still won't boot and end up with the GRUB-prompt.
>
> Can it be the following:
> 1. for the dual-boot installation with XP I had to copy the boot-partition
> to a file and use it in my XP-boot process, according to
> http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.htm.
>
> 2. Do I have to re-do this now to get my machine back to normal,
> succesfull linux boot?

Yes.

Note, though, that it's not necessary everytime you modify grub.conf
or install/erase a kernel.

> Or is something else still rotten?

No. The loaded part of GRUB just doesn't know which config file to
load. It would find the config file, if you entered

  find /grub/grub.conf

at the GRUB prompt. But you can have more than one /boot partition
and many more files named grub.conf. So GRUB needs to be pointed to
the proper partition. The grub-install did that, but you're using
the old bootblock from within NT loader.

--
Fedora Core release 2.92 (FC3 Test 3) - Linux 2.6.9-1.640
loadavg: 0.00 0.05 0.09