Fedora For Kids

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Tue Oct 26 06:28:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, October 26, 2004 0:34, Robin Laing said:

> The only problem that we have come across was our daughter purchased a
> book and game pack at school.  It is a windows game and I cannot get
> it to install under wine.  The installer chokes.

For quite some apps, you can unpack the installer data manually, copy the
app out and run it directly. There's usually at least one of 4 ways to get
the app out of the installer:

1. unzip it, might even work on .exe's
2. run the installer. It might create a temp directory with e.g. the .cab
files in it, or already the completely unpacked app. Copy your app out
while the installer is still displaying it's error msg.
3. unpack the cab with unshield (see synce.sf.net)
4. unpack the cab with cabextract (see synce.sf.net's link)

You might sometimes need a combination of the above...

HaJo

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>
http://www.HaJo.Net