Apache build and SSL problem

Linn Kubler lkubler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 22:53:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:06:16 +0100, Purvis Robert
<robert.purvis at nhsia.nhs.uk> wrote:
> If you have compiled Apache and want to start it with SSL you must use
> <apache-dir>/bin/apachectl startssl - notice the "startssl" not the
> normal "start". If you don't use startssl then Apache won't listen on
> port 443.
>
> Rob

Thanks for the tip Rob, but that wasn't my problem.

I have also solved my problem.  I decided to delete all the related
files and directories and start over and now it works.  I think what
happened was that I originally built Apache without mod_ssl and for
some reason simply rebuilding it didn't over write the original build.
 Once I deleted the Apache directory structure and rebuilt and
reinstalled everything it worked without a hitch.  I'm guessing that I
probably only needed to delete some configuration file or something
but I don't know exactly which file(s) that would have been.  It was
just easier to delete the whole mess and rebuild.

Thanks everyone who offered assistance,
Linn