un-dual boot XP & FC2 - 2 harddrives

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Sep 1 00:37:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 18:25, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 16:02, kate wrote:
> > un-dual boot XP & FC2
> > How do I correct the boot procedure?
> >
> > Neither will boot separately. How do I fix this?
> >
> > BACKGROUND
> > I have 2 hardrives. hda is XP, and hdb is FC2, managed
> > by Grub. I want to separate them. I bought drive
> > trays, so when I want FC2, I put in FC2 tray. When I
> > want XP, I put in XP tray. RESULT: not dual boot
> > system.
>
> Put in the XP tray, and run the Windows rescue console from the CD.
> Choose the option to restore the MBR, and you should be able to boot
> from it.
>
> Put in the FC2 tray.  Boot from CD1 (or the DVD) and run `linux
> rescue`.  When it asks, mount your system and `chroot /mnt/sysimage`.
> Change all of the entries in /etc/fstab that reference /dev/hdb to
> /dev/hda.  Run `grub-install /dev/hda`.  If you get no errors, reboot
> and voila ;o)
>
> Forrest

He also will need to modify /boot/grub/device.map  and
/boot/grub/grub.conf to point to the correct devices before he runs the
grub-install.

>From the description given device.map probably has mapping for hd0 and
hd1.  The mapping for hd0 will need to point to the fc2 drive (/dev/hda)
and remove the mapping for hd1.

Then in grub.conf change everything that points to hd1 to point to hd0
instead.