Soundcard configuration lost following a reboot

Allen Winter winterz at verizon.net
Wed Sep 1 01:07:17 UTC 2004

On Sunday 29 August 2004 03:05 pm, Nick Pierpoint wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 13:15, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:57:22 +0100, Nick Pierpoint wrote:
> >
> > > My soundcard configuration is lost each time I reboot - thankfully a
> > > rare event but annoying nonetheless.
> > >
> > > If I reboot and run system-config-soundcard then everything is pretty
> > > much fine. However, following a reboot the system will be silent again.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what system-config-soundcard actually does?
> > >
> > > The content of /etc/modprobe.conf is untouched by by
> > > system-config-soundcard when I run it - is this the expected behaviour
> > > or is something awry?
> > >
> > > I'm running FC2 - recently upgraded from RH9.
> >
> > Is the soundcard listed in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf? If so, cut out the
> > block and run /usr/sbin/kudzu as root. Following the instructions,
> > you should see activity in /etc/modprobe.conf

I had the same problem with sound going away each time I rebooted.
So, I removed the AUDIO section from /etc/sysconf/hwconf and then
ran kudzu as suggested above.  (kudzu didn't ask me any questions at all).
Now when system-config-soundcard fails with:
# system-config-soundcard
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device
-9

Help!
Allen